Thank you from your winner Lyn

eelynlim-wThese two weeks have been an absolutely fantastic experience! Thank you so much to Paul, Peter, Katy and Ruth, all the amazing mods and most of all the wonderful students in our zone!

As most of you will know I grew up in Malaysia, where the school system is very different from the one here in the UK. When I was in school people cared a lot more about students being able to answer exam questions, than being able to ask them! Quite often I would go up to a teacher with a question, only to be told – very curtly – that it wasn’t in the syllabus, and therefore I didn’t need to know it. So you can imagine that it was a bit of a shock for me to come to university here, and find out that there was no such thing as a syllabus – the more you knew, the better!

That’s why I was so glad to see so many intelligent, well-informed, imaginative questions coming from the students! It is lovely to see that young people are being encouraged to think critically about the world around them, and actively try to find out more – and I love that I was able to be part of that. Many of the students were evidently more up-to-date on scientific news than I was, and I definitely learned a lot in the process. I hope that you’ve found some of my answers helpful, and remember to never stop asking why!

I’m really looking forward to starting work on that science-based computer game. Scientific research has a tendency to take itself very seriously, but I would hate to ever forget that, to me, science is first and foremost supposed to be FUN. It will be exciting to get out of the lab each day and work on this project – I’ve had several pieces of good advice from the students already! I want to make it a really good one, that students of all levels can have fun with, but that means I’ll be taking quite a bit of time with it – probably a good few years! But this is something I’ve wanted to do for ages now so I’ll definitely keep at it until it’s done – keep an eye out for it 😉

I’ll sign off here with another big THANK YOU – and keep up the good work!!

Lyn

Posted on July 2, 2013 by in News. Leave a comment